Thursday, September 3, 2009

Take It and Run Thursday - Motivation

I didn't think I would have a chance to write yet another blog post today, but I'm multi-tasking while watching the VERY IMPORTANT Oregon vs. Boise State game. (Go Ducks!)

I do love running, and I really love the way I feel when I'm done, but I'll admit sometimes (usually) it's pretty hard to get myself out of bed in the morning to run, especially when it's dark, and/or wet, and/or cold out. All of which will occur with increasing frequency in the days and weeks to come.

So what tips the balance in the ever-challenging contest between my warm, cozy bed and the cold, hard streets (sidewalks)?

Okay, I know this is pathetic. And embarrassing. And borderline dysfunctional.

It's the calories. Simply, I can eat more on the days I run (or work out). I can hardly bear to think of how much I should restrict myself if I choose to stay in bed instead of run. It's not worth it. I'd rather just run.

Once I'm out there and get going, I start to appreciate the running for itself. I just needed that extra boost to get myself going.

So sorry about my shallowness. But I really enjoyed that big ribeye steak I had for dinner tonight!*


*Thanks to an excrutiating stint on a stairmaster (and I was resting my legs today?) plus extra time on the elliptical.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

thanks for participating! :) i agree, calories are a great excuse/reason to get out there. i've done it myself before, though usually more along the lines of "well if i go run x miles i can eat these cookies" (or something else junky) so, not shallow. just honest! running definitely helps make me able to indulge my sweet teeth more often than i should, but at least i'm making an attempt to keep it off right?

anyway, thanks again for your input!

lifestudent said...

I eat whatever I want and still that doesnt motivate me. I dont run to eat, and I dont eat and then run off the calories. I guess I need larger sources of guilt...