Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumn Equinox

I took this picture of the setting sun at 6:54 p.m., walking home from a stint at th Y and a stop at the grocery store. The sun was sinking so fast that by the time I fumbled around trying to get a shot that better reflected the intense deep red of the sky (I couldn't), it had dropped to just a firey sliver. By 7:00, probably before, it was gone altogether.

Today, at 2:18 p.m. Pacific time, autumn arrived. Technically speaking, this is supposed to be the day when the length of the day and night are equal, before the days start getting shorter and nights longer as we move toward winter solstice. According to the newspaper, sunrise was at 6:57 a.m. and sunset was supposed to be at 7:06 p.m. But from what I saw out there, the sun was right on track to disappear just before 7.

It was so beautifully sunny and warm today (in the 80's!) that it's hard to believe it's fall. The weather is supposed to stay nice all week, though cool down later in the week. The nice thing about days like this is that they start out cool in the morning (in the 50's), perfect for running, assuming you do it in the mornings. (Afternoon runners, not so lucky.)

This Sunday I am running the half in the Bellingham Marathon, my last race in September and the last race in what has turned out to be my summer of speed (to borrow a name coined by another blogger). (I'm counting it as a summer run even though summer is technically over.)

It makes me wonder what will happen as the colder and wetter days of fall and winter roll in. I was pretty speedy last summer too (though not as much as now), and it was in the fall and then winter that I fell into my slowness slump. So I'm a little nervous about that. I don't want to have to stage another big comeback in 2010!

But that's all speculation. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the beautiful summer-like autumn days and see what comes next.

(Next, for now, being Sunday's race. I am not planning on trying for a PR, by the way. I got my PR in Anacortes, and I'm happy with that, for now. I just want to enjoy myself and do reasonably okay!)

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

1 comment:

Terri said...

The mornings have been really, really cool here lately. This morning, it was 37 - I'm so glad it warmed up by the time Chris and I raced in Boston.

Beautiful picture, Kristin. I love pics of sunrises and sunsets.

Don't stress about the winter yet!