Thursday, September 3, 2009

Eggplant Delight

I am sitting here in court this morning WAITING for my cases to be called so I can go... I have been reading food blogs to pass the time and it is making me hungry! (Even though I ate a hearty breakfast AND already had a double tall skinny hazelnut latte.)

It made me think fondly of the DEE-licious dinner I made for myself last night. I sliced up a medium-small eggplant and roasted the slices in a 425-degree oven on a cookie sheet covered with foil (sprayed the foil and eggplant with olive oil spray), turning so that both sides could get nice and brown.

I sauteed some onion and mushrooms and then mixed in some marinara sauce (I only had about half a cup).

I had about four ounces of sliced smoked deli ham (which is a calorie bargain at 30 calories per ounce), which I divided among the eggplant slices (I had about five medium-sized slices and a couple itty-bitty ones). I put a nice slice of garden tomato on each (I had a lovely big yellow heirloom tomato from Ann), then a spoonful of the onion-tomato-marinara sauce.

Finally I topped everything with a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella and parmesan. I used about two ounces (half a cup) for everything. I popped it all back in the oven for the cheese to get nice and melty (which also heated the ham and everything else that wasn't already hot).

Then I put the eggplant on a bed of spinach and ate it! ALL. Yes, the picture here is just the first round. It was SO GOOD. I just LOVE eggplant!

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: