Sunday, May 31, 2009

Building a sandwich

My mother recently discovered, and introduced me to, Orowheat Whole Wheat Sandwich Rounds. That's what's at the bottom of the open-face sandwiches in the picture, though you can't see them. Each split round (including both halves) has 100 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein. It's about the size of a hamburger bun but much thinner. I've had one every day for the last four days, topped with grilled halibut, deli roast beef, and deli turkey, plus a cornucopia of veggies.

Today's creation is my grandest yet (though you can't beat the deliciousness of the halibut). I used each half as the base of an open-face sandwich and topped it with a tablespoon of fat-free cream cheese, 1/8 of an avocado (you can get three or four slices out of that), two ounces deli turkey (you could skimp with one ounce, but I wanted to protein up*), sliced Vidalia onion (the best sweet onion), sliced green bell pepper, sliced cucumber, and a slice of tomato. The big leaf of lettuce (from Ann's garden) goes on top and makes it possible to eat as a sandwich. The whole plate, including the raspberries, comes in at just under 400 calories. And it is delicious!


*Because I am in the midst of a house cleaning/organizing project and I need STRENGTH! Also, I ran 9.1 miles this morning (about 9:30 average pace), and that certainly should allow me a little caloric leeway. (Hence the last-minute addition of avocado.)
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: