Sunday, October 17, 2010

Kabocha Squash Pasta

I LOVE Kabocha squash (as I have said many times before). Usually I just roast and eat it as a veggie dish, or make it into soup, but I am always interesting when I see a recipe with a new use for Kabocha squash.

When I read The Gastronomy of Marriage by Michelle Maisto, I was intrigued by a dish she made with Kabocha squash, sage and farfalle. Her sister, who is California-thin, complained that there was too much olive oil (the squash was sauteed in sage-infused oil). I decided to make a version for myself that was much lighter on oil, and also didn't use fresh sage (which I didn't have) or ricotta salata (which I can't get in my grocery store).

Some notes:

I cut up a whole Kabocha (unpeeled), sprayed the pieces in olive oil spray, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and a little maple syrup and roasted at 425 until the pieces were done to my liking. I used about half of the squash pieces in my dish but many people would not want so much. (Also, you can peel the squash if you prefer).

I used one can of drained white beans (cannellini). They dissolved a bit in cooking. White kidney beans or navy beans might hold up more.

I used about two servings (4 oz) Barilla Plus dried farfalle (bow-tie pasta). My recipe overall made about three big servings.

Aside from cooking the squash, prep takes about 15 minutes. Plan cooking time accordingly.

Here's the recipe.

Roasted Kabocha squash pieces
Chopped onion (about half an onion)
Dried sage
Can of white beans, rinsed and drained
Chicken or vegetable broth (or pasta cooking water)
Farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
Feta cheese or fat-free feta

While squash is finishing roasting, start cooking pasta. Sautee the onion in olive oil cooking spray and a little olive oil. When onions start to soften, add some sage. Then add beans, plus broth as needed to allow for a little sauce without making it soupy. Hopefully your pasta and squash are both done now. Drain pasta (saving some liquid if you wish) and stir into onions and beans. Add salt if needed. Add as much squash as you want. Use broth or pasta water to loosen if it seems dry. Top each serving with crumbled feta. I had mine on a mountain of arugula.

I ate this on Friday night as "carb-loading" for my Saturday trail run.

Boston Marathon registration opens tomorrow morning at 9 am Eastern (6 am Pacific)!
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

No comments: