Sunday, August 23, 2009

Saturday night supper

When I picked the two yellow summer squash from the garden a few days ago, I knew they were meant to be stuffed. They were about the size of softballs and almost as round, perfect for splitting and filling with...something.

I did an internet search for recipes, and found some, but most of the stuffing involved breadcrumbs, and I had a yen for something more substantial. So here's what I did.

I cooked up some brown rice in broth, enough to yield at least half a cup (or more) per half squash. Meanwhile, I simmered the whole squashes in boiling water till tender--setting them aside when they were done.

I simmered and browned some lowfat chicken sausage (according to package instructions). After setting aside the finished sausage, I sauteed some onion, garlic and mushrooms in the same pan. (I had some cooking liquid I'd saved from the sausages which I used to keep them from getting too dry in the pan.) After all that was done I cut up the sausage and mixed everything with the brown rice, seasoning to taste with italian seasoning herb mix, salt and pepper.

Then I cut the squash in halves and scooped out the seedy centers, leaving the rest of the flesh intact (they were like cups).

I put some jarred marinara in the bottom of a baking dish and arranged the squash in it. Then I scooped rice into each half, mounding it up and pressing kind of firmly so I could put in plenty.

I spooned more marinara onto each squash and topped each with about a quarter cup (a small handful) of grated mozzarella.

I baked it at about 350 (I also had a cobbler in the oven) until I thought it was hot through. Everything was already cooked so I wasn't worried about that. The mozzarella started getting really brown so I wondered if I should have waited to add it till later on...but since I hadn't, I just put foil over it.

And it was deeelicious. Rod ate both his halves (and got really full), but I saved my second one. (Another dinner already made!)

Luckily, since I'd only eaten one, I had NO PROBLEM with peach and blueberry cobbler and ice cream later on. :)

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Marie said...

Yum!!! We have a largish squash growing in our garden, and since we're off to Toronto on Tuesday, it is destined to be stuffed when we returned. I might just try your strategy. The cobbler sounds yummy too!!

Hua said...

Hello Kristin,

Looks delicious! I will try to make it for myself!

I really enjoyed reading your blog and learning about running. With your positive outlook on life, I feel that your blog would be a great addition to Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN). The HBN has over 2,600 bloggers that share a common goal to share their knowledge with others, which enables Wellsphere to provide information that is personal and relevant to over 6 million visitors a month.

Feel free to visit our Health Blogger Network at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger , where you can apply to join. Or just email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Have a great day!
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks