Thursday, November 8, 2012

NHBPM #8

Day 8 - Write a letter to your health

Okay then.

Dear Health (sorry I don't know the best way to address you):

I want to thank you for being there for me for the last 47 years. I hope you'll stick around for 47 more.

I think our relationship has been pretty positive over the years. Sure, we had some rough spots at times. When I was young, a really little kid, we had a few go rounds with strep and bronchitis and ear infections. There was that week or two of chicken pox--thanks for that. I seemed to get at least one bad cold every year.

But there are so many worse things that can happen to children that you spared me from. Juvenile diabetes and other serious medical conditions. Certainly there was nothing I could do to prevent them, I was just fortunate, and lucky.

Thanks for not developing any allergies, either. I am so happy to be able to have cats (and dogs, should I want them), go out into nature without hay fever or (much) fear of bees, and eat pretty much any darn thing I want without risking an uncomfortable or dangerous allergic reaction. (Nuts, milk, shellfish, bring 'em all on.)

I apologize for the many years that I neglected you. There was that long period of time between law school and about 2004 when I didn't really exercise much at all. I fed you with things that weren't the most beneficial, and jeopardized your well-being by gaining a lot of weight.

Thank you for hanging in there during those years. Thanks for not breaking down and giving me knee or back problems. Thanks for keeping my blood pressure normal, and cholesterol and all those conditions that can develop with obesity. Thank you for fending off type 2 diabetes, or even pre-diabetes.

I hope you're enjoying some of the things I'm trying to do for you. I know that the running is a little hard on my legs and feet at times, but I hope you're getting some cardio and health boost out of it. I've been feeding you lots of vegetables and protein and fruit. I hope it makes you feel good and increases your ability to fend off disease. I think that the large quantities (hopefully not too large) of clean, nutritious foods balances the treats and indulgences that I am unable to completely eschew (e.g. dark chocolate kisses and mini Reese's cups).

I really appreciate that you hardly get colds any more (except for that one right before the Twin Cities' Marathon, but I forgive you). I promise that I'll try to be kinder to you by getting more sleep. And I'll help protect you from the flu by getting a flu shot soon.

Dearest Health, I truly want us to stay together forever and ever. Let's make a pact--I'll take care of you, and you take care of me.

All my love,
Kristin


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: