Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Election Day run

I'm taking a break from the NHBPM topics today. I'm not feeling the "news style" post and I can't think of a time I "had to take the high road." I'd like to think I usually take the high road, but nothing special comes to mind.

I remember four years ago running on election morning and replaying Bruce Springsteen's Living in the Free World again and again. This year I thought it would be fun, and inspirational, to have an entire playlist of songs for Election Day running. Luckily I was able to do it quickly and easily on my iPhone.

So quickly and easily that I ended up with way more music than I could play in any morning run! We're talking 57 songs. Oops. I put it on shuffle this morning and played it through 7.25 miles. That was more than 72 minutes because it kept running even when I paused at lights and such.

For fun, here's the songs that I thought would be good on Election Day. About half I already owned and I downloaded the rest (an investment, but good to get some new songs in my repertoire. I'll use this playlist again (maybe even adding some and using it for the Honolulu Marathon.)

The order is as I downloaded them. Obviously shuffle is critical.

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Bright Side of the Road - Van Morrison
Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Don't Stop Running - Y & T
Empire State of Mind - Jay Z
The Final Countdown - Europe
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash (not election related, I just like it)
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
Holding Out for a Hero -
Human - The Pretenders
I Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
Livin ' in the Future - Bruce Springsteen
Long May You Run - Neil Young
Long Walk Home - Bruce Springsteen
Ring of Fire - Social Distortion
Rockin' in the Free World - Neil Young
Run - Eric Clapton
Run - Indigo Girls
Running Free - Iron Maiden
This Will Be an Everlasting Love - Natalie Cole
We Are the Champions - Queen
The First, the Last, My Everything - Barry White
All Dressed in Love - Jennifer Hudson
Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen
Don't Stop (Thinking About Tomorrow) - Fleetwood Mac
For Once in My Life - Michael Buble
The Promised Land - Bruce Springsteen
Racing in the Street - Bruce Springsteen
Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours - Stevie Wonder
This Land Is Your Land - Woody Guthrie
This Land Is Your Land - Bruce Springsteen
Waiting for a Miracle - Bruce Cockburn
Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
I Shall Be Released - Bob Dylan
We Take Care of Our Own - Bruce Springsteen
Land of Hope and Dreams - Bruce Springsteen
American Land - Bruce Springsteen
I Gotta Feeling - Black-Eyed Peas
Tonight's the Kind of Night - Noah and the Whale
Keep Marchin' - Rafael Saddiq
The Weight - Aretha Franklin
Even Better than the Real Thing - U-2
The Best Thing About Me Is You - Ricky Martin & Joss Stone
Got to Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind, and Fire
Love You I Do - Jennifer Hudson
You've Got the Love - Florence + the Machine
Your Smiling Face - James Taylor
I Was Here - Beyonce
Roll With the Changes - REO Speedwagon
I Got You - Wilco
Let's Stay Together - Al Green
Let's Stay Together - Maroon 5
Everyday America - Sugarland
You Are the Best Thing - Ray LaMontagne
Hawaii Five-0 Main Title Theme
Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Diana Ross


My final thought for today--it's a good day.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I didn't realize I was so far behind in my reading of your blog. For whatever reason, it doesn't pop up in my reader, so I have to go to it manually every time. I hadn't read it since before your Oct. 25th post.

Anyway, I am gonna have to download some of those songs. :-) I was singing them as I was reading through your list.