Saturday, April 10, 2010

Loco moco for breakfast

I must have been dreaming of loco moco last night, because I woke up itching to make me some. Do you know what loco moco is? It's a Hawaiian dish made of a scoop of rice (white, of course), topped with a hamburger patty, then a fried egg (or two) and doused with gravy. It really is pretty yummy. When we were in Hawaii last year Rod was obsessed with loco moco and had it for lunch several times. I never actually had it in Hawaii because I was obsessed with ono sandwiches, and that's almost all I ever ate. But I did eat a recreation that Rod made at home.

My loco moco version (faux loco moco) featured leftover Lundberg Wild Blend Rice from dinner last night. I made the rice with sauteed mushrooms and onions stirred in as well.

So this morning I put some rice mixture in a bowl then topped it with the other components that I scrabbled together. I defrosted some ground turkey from the freezer (conveniently packaged by me in a single serving size), formed it into a patty and cooked it in a small pan. I fried an egg (with an extra splash of egg white) in my cute single egg frying pan. I stacked the patty, then the egg, on top of the rice that I had warmed in the microwave, then instead of gravy I topped it with ketchup and Frank's hot sauce.

Of course it wasn't the same as "real" loco moco but it was very good (and hearty!). I should have taken a picture of my creation but by the time I thought of that all that was left was crumbs and smears of ketchup.

I love breakfast and I always eat a substantial breakfast. In fact that's one of the reasons I am always almost (or a little bit) late for work; I refuse to skip breakfast. (On a rare occasion I will pack up my breakfast and bring it with me, but packing it takes almost as much time as eating it at home!)

Another breakfast that I have been really loving this week (I may have had it twice), is:
  • 2 Nutrigrain lowfat waffles
  • Spread with about a tablespoon (or so) of Justin's Maple Almond Butter (divided between them)
  • Topped with half a small banana, sliced
  • And drizzed with a tablespoon of maple syrup (you could use less, the full tablespoon makes it really decadent)
OH.MY.GOD. Love it.

Now I need to hop into the shower and head up to Oak Harbor to pick up my packet for the race tomorrow. Then Book Club this afternoon (I made Julia Child's Ratatouille—yes, the book is Julie and Julia!).

Have a great day! Don't forget to eat breakfast!

No comments: