Monday, April 6, 2009

The opposite of endorphins is...

A darned cold! With a hacking 4 a.m. cough that makes it highly undesirable, unadvisable, and downright impossible to get up at 6 a.m. to run. Where, I ask, are the endorphins that my body is supposed to produce to counteract the pain of a sore throat? In their absence, I am treating my throat (and myself) with hot lemon and honey (tea optional), which genuinely does soothe the throat and suppress the cough, at least for the minutes it is passing through. It also, of course, sends a constant flow of sugar into my body, which generates a craving for more, more, more! I am slurping this stuff down like little Renesmee and her alternative to mother's milk.* Which could create a problem zipping up my pants** if I (need to) (can't help myself) continue living on sugar water for too many days!

Evening addendum: I braved the cold (my cold, that is) to go for an after work run in the sunny afternoon. 6.5 miles in 65 minutes at 65 degrees—not too shabby. I don't think it (the run) exacerbated my cold symptoms, but I know that it (the cold) has not yet run its course....


*Yes, I am reading Breaking Dawn now.
**Which seem a little looser this week than last.

No comments: