Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A much better day

Yesterday pretty much sucked. It was raining when I woke up, and it was so not worth it to go out running in the rain. I went to the Y instead, thinking that maybe I would go running in the afternoon if the rain let up.

Well, it didn't. At 11:00 it was raining and hailing. At 11:30 it was sunny! By mid-afternoon it was pouring. The rest of the day it just rained off and on.

But there were more dark clouds over my head than just the rain clouds. I found out from the accountant that I had vastly underpaid my estimated taxes throughout the year, and had a huge tax bill to pay (with my extension). To look on the bright side, that meant that we had made a lot of money last year, but really, what good is that money if we're just sending most of it to the U.S. Treasury in tax payments? At least that's how it seemed.

There seemed to be no alternative but to eat a lot of candy. All day long. Our paralegals have both given up smoking, and there seems to be lots of goodies around for them to turn to as a substitute for cigarettes. Lorraine has a big Costco bag of tootsie pops, Jolly Ranchers, Laffy Taffy, and so forth, all of which I dipped into liberally throughout the day.

Today, however, is another day. The tax bill remains frightening, though slightly reduced due to some recalculating. I've reduced the candy intake substantially—though unfortunately, not entirely—and the sun has come out this afternoon.

This morning the weather was dry enough to take a Tuesday morning run (as a substitute for Monday's non-run) and it felt good. I got going late so I should have shortened it up, but I couldn't resist going for a full 6.25. My splits were pretty good:

1 - 10:14
2 - .54 mile at 9:56 pace (5:19)
3 - 10:02
4 - 9:44
5 - 9:39
6 - 9:31
7 - .72 mile at 9:18 pace (6:44)
Average pace for entire distance 9:47.

On a non-running note, I heard this song on the radio and liked it enough to seek it out on iTunes and download the album to my iPod. It's not a running song or anything, but it's fun.

No comments: