Thursday, December 25, 2008

The Twelve Months of 2008

In the spirit of the holidays, here is my Christmas letter to you. Actually it is my Christmas letter to my friends who live far away from me... but I haven't actually managed to send it out yet. So you, my blogging and blog-reading friends, are getting the Christmas card that my other friends are not.

It is written to the tune of The Twelve Days of Christmas... so sing along if you wish!


In the first month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, a 5K in Magnuson Park.

In the second month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, a 5K at Greenlake, and a 10K up north in LaConner.

In the third month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, 10 miles in Anacortes, the Shamrock Run in Portland, and a 10K was canceled due to snow.

In the fourth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, 5 miles in Mount Vernon, a half marathon on Whidbey, six days until the next one, and the Robie Creek Half Marathon in Boise.

In the fifth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, Bloomsday 12K! Met Kathryn Switzer in Spokane, Beat the Bridge in Seattle, traveled to St. Louis, where I ran around the Arch and Forest Park.

In the sixth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, a Guemes Island 10K, and one at the mall! The Berry Run 5K, the Race for the Cure (but no sub-25), and a beach run from Potlatch to Tulalip Bay.

In the seventh month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, Yankee Doodle Dashing, a new style for my haircut, the Run of the Mill! A Garmin watch for running, some really sunny weather, the Anacortes Half Marathon, and a long weekend at Rosario on Orcas.

In the eighth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, a 10K up in Arlington, 8 miles on the 8th, the start of the Olympics, Deena Kastor falls! My 43rd birthday, a PR in Mukilteo, my 25-year reunion, where I renewed my acquaintance with Rod Reed.

In the ninth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, Kabocha Squash Soup, my father’s 78th birthday, a PR in the Irongirl, a new instructor in Yoga, the Fairhaven 15K! A 10-day trip to Maine, the Mid-Coast Maine Half Marathon, travel up the coast, and an awful lot of lobsters consumed!

In the tenth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, a long run on Burke-Gilman, Vice-presidential debate, Tina Fey as Palin, ferry trip to Sidney, touring Butchart Gardens, Royal Victoria Half! Tea at the Empress, prime rib at our Book Club, Neil Young at the Events Center, and a Halloween evening to remember!

In the eleventh month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, Pilates teacher injured, Paula wins the marathon, Obama wins the election, Skagit Valley 10K, California banning bake sales, running in foul weather, weekend in Rimrock! Cookie exchange at Book Club, symphony at Benaroya, countdown to Thanksgiving, and Lorraine made me a marionberry pie.

In the twelfth month of 2008, the New Year gave to me, more cookies at the office, I vow to give up cookies, my car is broken into, new license, credit cards and cell phone, a weekend trip to Vegas, I spend $15 gambling, an Eiffel Tower of margaritas, the Vegas Half-Marathon! Now it’s almost Christmas, my tree is finally decorated, the ground is all snow-covered, and I wish you a Happy Christmas and New Year!

No comments: