Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Let it Snow!

Well, actually right now I wish the snow would hold off for a bit, as my office Christmas party is tonight and for the last fifteen minutes huge snowflakes have been turning the ground white again. This is after a drizzly day where most of the snow and ice on the roads from earlier had melted away.

But last night, when I woke up at 3 a.m. and saw the snow falling and piling up, I was pretty excited. I got up at 6 a.m. and there was an inch of new snow, a lot less than I had thought from what I saw in the middle of the night.

Still, I thought I'd give my running snowshoes a try for fun. So I strapped them on (using my trail running shoes) and headed out the front door.

Well, an inch of snow does not make an adequate base for snowshoeing. (Duh, you are probably thinking.) The grassy parking strips had more snow, but that's not good for running either. You really need a packed trail with a good base, I think.

I went half a block then headed home, discarded the snowshoes, and headed out for a slow run on my feet.

I only had time for a little over four miles, and it was probably only a little faster than walking. I left the Garmin at home as I didn't see any need for it.

But running in fresh snow is a delightful winter experience. I'd be happy to do more of it. Hopefully with the snowshoes sometime!

But not tonight, okay?

No comments: