Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Visit from Odyne*

Twas the week before Christmas and all through my bod,
Not a muscle was aching, not even a quad!

A week had gone by since the marathon run,
I knew it was time to get out for some fun!

I set my alarm clock for early on Monday,
And laid out my clothing and gear late on Sunday.

The alarm at 5:30 went off with a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter!

(Okay, I'll admit that's a poetic lie—
In fact, I hit "snooze" and let minutes roll by.)

But finally I climbed with reluctance from bed,
To face up to morning and the task that was ahead.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.

The streetlights gleamed warmly on grass that was green,
Despite chance of snowfall, there was none to be seen.

Then what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a weather report showing dry weather here.

With no precipitation to hinder my way,
The time now had come to get on with my day.

On run pants, on zipfront, on socks that are wicking,
On Garmin, on iPod, on Timex that's ticking.

To the top of the porch, to the sidewalk below,
Now jog away, jog away, jog away slow!

I trotted away on my usual path—
The running felt easy, though pace was not fast.

One mile passed by smoothly, then two, three and four,
Approaching the downtown, I still wanted more!

So southward on Colby, the storefronts I passed,
With holiday decor behind window glass,

Perhaps were distracting as I traveled along—
I sped up a little, I was still going strong.

But suddenly, I encountered some obstacle there,
In the wink of an eye I was flying through air,

And instead of a simple fall to the ground,
I fell into a signboard with hard edges all 'round.

My left bicep was slammed in excrutiating pain,
What injuries suffered? I could not yet explain.

I lay on the sidewalk and swore, moaned and cried,
My arm was so painful, with a scraped knee beside,

I even forgot to turn off Garmin's time,
For several long seconds while I lay in the grime.

At long last to standing I once again rose,
Wondering if I should just head home with my woes.

But I hated to stop at just 4.6 miles,
So onward I shuffled (my face not in smiles).

I turned at Pacific (my planned turnaround),
Then downhill to Starbucks, to whence I was bound,

But still! Only five and a half miles had ended,
I couldn't stop short of my six-miles intended!

So around the block once! And a half time again,
And at 6.0 even I let this run end.

My pain was still dreadful, my demeanor was bad,
I'm sure to those round me I looked very sad

Especially while walking the half dozen blocks,
To my house, all the while sobbing with shock.

To be clear, I was certain that no bones were cracked,
But I expected some bruising of major impact!

A long, long hot shower restored my composure,
But I fear a long wait before this incident's closure.

My arm was swelled up, quite as big as a softball
And causing me pain to a level not small.

I wish I could say that I'm all better now,
The pain's long diminished, but my arm's still a cow!

And I have no idea of how long it will take
For the swelling and bruising to give me a break.

But ne'er fear! I have not let this keep me from running
On Wednesday, near eight miles, and tomorrow more coming.

My reverse taper's ending, my running resuming,
And I'm darned if this injury will keep me from zooming!

(It wasn't my legs that got hurt in the spill,
So running is something I will plan on still.)

And all I can say, with this year almost gone,
Is I'm so glad this didn't happen before the marathon!

*Odyne was apparently the Greek goddess of pain.


lifestudent said...

wow, that is some creative writing :)

Tina at Gotta Run Now said...

So sorry, but what a way to tell it! Yes, at least you can still run!

dwanadmayon said...

好文不寂寞~支持!!!!@@a 搞錯了,這不是論壇推文 XDDD..................................................

Lisa said...

Sorry about your fall, but what a cute poem to describe it!

I hope you are fully recovered by now!