Friday, September 2, 2011

The good and the not-so-good

The other day I was going to write a post about how I ran six out of seven days, between last Thursday and this Wednesday. Crazy for me. The final run of the six-in-seven was Wednesday. I had a rocking tempo run on Wednesday! After two miles warm-up, I did six tempo miles (two sets of three miles with a .10 recovery between. The splits - 8:00 (oops, definitely too fast), 8:19, 8:21 (those two right on track); then 8:11, 8:39 (lots of lights and a phone call from the office threw me off), 8:00 (strong finish).

Thursday was definitely a running rest day. Also, I was a little sore in my right quad. My legs are often more sore after a hard run than an easy one, not surprisingly. Thursday evening I spent an hour on the elliptical and did a yoga class. My leg was sore enough that doing child's pose and other quad stretching poses was difficult!

So today...quad still achy. I considered not running in order to rest it for the planned long run tomorrow, but I thought I should see how it held up. My legs, and particularly my right thigh, felt very heavy and sluggish. I eventually loosened up, but it took me a full five miles to work my average pace under 10:00! I ended up doing 8.07 miles in eighty minutes. Later the sore quad resumed. I actually spent most of the day with a disposable heat pack strapped to my leg under my jeans. I felt like heat might help.

Needless to say, I became concerned about my planned 22-mile run tomorrow. I was intending to tough it out, but then one of my friends who was walking the route asked me to walk with her, because two other people backed out. I decided that it would be better to go with her, at least part way (we probably won't have time to walk the full 22). I may run on the return trip, if I feel like it, just to get in a few running miles. I feel bad about not doing the long run, but it may be for the best. I still have one 20+ miler on the schedule, and I'll just have to be satisfied with three instead of four.

Yesterday my dress of the day was a Laura Ashley dress from 1988. Here I am wearing it when it was new.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

i LOVE that you have held onto that dress this whole time :) i always thought about doing that with clothes growing up but obviously realized i sure wouldn't fit into them by the time they came back in style .