Monday, May 30, 2011

ABCDEFood!

I stole borrowed this ABCs of Food questionnaire from Janetha of Meals and Moves, who got it from another blog, who might have got it from the original creator XC Foodie. Or someone else along the way. Since I love both food and quizzes, obviously I jumped right on it! So here goes....


A is for Apple, what is your favorite variety?



Honeycrisp in season...which is late summer. Year round I like Braeburns. They are crisp and sweet. I really like most kinds of apples as long as they are crisp. Can't stand mushy or mealy apples!



B is for Bread, regardless of nutrition, calories, or whole grains, what is your favorite type to have a nice big piece of?



I love bread, even though I limit my consumption. Some of my favorites...hearty grain from the Calico Cupboard in LaConner, especially with honey butter...whole wheat rolls from Sisters in Everett...any and all breads from Sarah's in Wiscasset, Maine.



C is for Cereal, what is your favorite kind currently?



Fiber One original, it's really the only kind I eat and I. Love. It.



D is for Doughnuts, you might not currently be eating them but what kind do you fancy?



Anything with maple frosting! Maple bars of course, but you should try French crullers or old- fashioned doughnuts with maple frosting. Yum-o!



E is for Eggs, how would you like yours prepared?



Veggie scramble, heavy on the veggies!



F is for Fat Free, what is your favorite fat free product?



Oikos Greek yogurt!



G is for Groceries, where do you purchase yours?



QFC (in my neighborhood), also Safeway and Haggens on occasion.



H is for Hot Beverages, what is your favorite hot drink?



I drink Americanos all the time, and hot tea, but for a special treat I love a nonfat mocha with a pump of peppermint.



I is for Ice Cream, pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.



How about coffee ice cream with hot fudge? And maybe some crushed peppermint bark, like a cold version of a peppermint mocha? (I've never actually done that.)



J is for Jams and Jellies, do you eat them, and if so what kind and flavor?



I do eat jams and preserves (not jelly so much), and my favorites are the seedy dark berry kinds! Boysenberry, blackberry, and raspberry. I have a special favorite in Nervous Nellie's blackberry peach conserve. OMG yum!



K is for Kashi, name your favorite Kashi product?



I don't eat Kashi!



L is for Lunch, what was yours today?



This is sort of atypical for me, but I used up some odds and ends... I had a Hebrew National lowfat beef frank on a Franz sorta whole grain bun with mustard and relish, some leftover coleslaw on a bed of spring greens, Mary's Gone Crackers curry-flavored sticks, and watermelon. Then half a cup of peppermint ice cream (leftover from the holidays!) because I was craving something sweet.


That was Thursday by the way, I've been working on this quiz for a while.



M is for microwave, what is your favorite microwave meal/snack?



I like to cook an egg and/or egg whites in a custard cup and top with salsa.



N is for nturients, do you like carbs, fats, or proteins best?



Well, even though I feel that moderating quantity and types of carbs is important for weight control, I do have to admit that I love me some carbs most of all. Obviously all my beloved veggies and fruits are carbs, and I do love breads and carby sweets as well. In the healthy eating arena, after the fruits and vegetables, I do lean towards proteins but carbs are my secret love.



O is for oil, what kind do you use?



Mostly olive oil.



P is for protein, how do you get yours?



Eggs and egg whites, greek yoghurt, salmon and other fish, chicken and turkey, beef. I have noticed, in comparing nutrition data info, that chicken, turkey and fish offer a lot more grams of protein per serving than non-meat protein sources...I think I should probably eat them more often.



Q is for Quaker, how do you like your oats?



Pumped up! I like both steel cut oats and regular oats...also raw regular oats soaked for overnight oats. Regardless, I like to add at least some of the following... fruit, berries, banana, dried cherries or other dried fruit, a sprinking of chopped nuts, chia seed, cottage cheese stirred in at the end, egg white stirred in during cooking, greek yoghurt as a topping, a drizzle of maple syrup or sprinkle of brown sugar, fiber one cereal as a topping, granola or trail mix as a topping. I do not use all of these at one time!!!



R is for Roasting, what is your favorite thing to roast?



Vegetables! Sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots, brussels sprouts, beets, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, eggplant. I am sure there are more possibilities but these are the ones I have enjoyed.



S is for Sandwich, what is your favorite kind?



BLT (bacon, lettuce, and tomato). I hardly ever have them but that answer came immediately to mind so it must be true!



T is for Travel, how do you handle eating while traveling?



It really depends on whether I am on a foodie trip or not. Sometimes I will bring along food (especially breakfast stuff), shop in grocery stores, delis and such, and eat mostly "in." (We do that a lot in England.) But if I am traveling in a place where the food is special, I love to seek out delicious local food in restaurants and other food venues. I do keep up with exercise on vacation. I run most days, and depending on where I am, may do a lot of walking. more so in places where we don't have a car, like London!



U is for Unique, what is one of your weirdest food combos?



Compared to all the food blogs I read, I can't say that anything I eat is very strange!


V is for Vitamins, what kind do you take?



Right now, none. Sometimes I take Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and fish oil. And/or maybe a multivitamin.



W is for Wasabi, yea or nay?



I say yea!



X is for X-ray, what would we see in your stomach right now?



As of tonight, Monday, a lot of Copper River salmon, asparagus, salad and fruit. My mom's birthday dinner!



Y is for Youth, what food reminds you of your childhood?



Norwegian pancakes (some people call them Swedish pancakes). They are very, very thin pancakes with butter and sugar, rolled up. My Norwegian grandmother used to make them for us.



Z is for Zucchini, how do you prepare it?


Most often, sliced and sautéed. Sometimes oven grilled or on the barbecue. Today we had raw sliced zucchini with chipotle dip and and it was delicious. Also, baked into zucchini bread is a good way to use excess garden zucchini!

That was fun! What are Your favorite foods?

1 comment:

Tricia said...

:) this made me really hungry