Saturday, March 19, 2011

Rest day

Today I am taking an unplanned rest day. Originally I had intended on a long run (20+ miles), but I have postponed that until tomorrow and am giving my legs a much needed break.

After my successful speed work on Thursday, I planned on a moderate effort pace run on Friday morning. I had a CLE to go to, but I thought I could still get up early enough for ten miles. In actuality, I got up early enough for seven or eight miles. I did nine, and was late to the CLE.

I've been doing these "goal marathon pace" runs at about 9-9:30 pace, depending on how I'm feeling (actually how fast my legs are feeling). This week I would have been happy with 9:30, but my legs were having none of that. Not only did they just feel slow, they were actually achy and my ankle and heel remained sore throughout the duration of the run (instead of letting up after a few miles as they usually do).

After two very rough warm-up miles (11-ish plus), I ramped up my effort a little. While my Garmin blinked 9:30 a couple of times (not for full miles), the remaining seven miles varied from 9:45-10:15. I probably could have gone faster but that would have required a higher effort than I was willing to provide.

This morning I was prepared to hit the road again, but I was nervous. My legs still felt the opposite of fresh, and I was a little afraid of not being able to finish or of aggravating my ankle further. So after Rod and I agreed that we didn't need to go skiing tomorrow, it didn't take much for me to postpone running for a day, and declare a total rest day. (that means no cross-training at the Y either).

I did walk to and from Safeway to buy sandwiches for lunch. I thought about a bike ride around town, but that may not happen. It's amazing that time passes even when you're not running 4-5 hours!

In other news, I got an iPhone! The blackberry finally had one too many roller ball failures. I'm still learning how to use it. Seems promising, though. :)

One more thing.... You'd think that on a no exercise day I wouldn't be as hungry as usual, right? WRONG. I have been hungry ALL.DAY.LONG. A ravenous beast, that's me.

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yay for the iPhone! And you even posted on it too - that's pretty amazing. I haven't figured out how to post from my Android phone yet, except by painstakingly going to Blogger and slowly slowly typing whatever I want to say. I am just not very good at typing on handheld devices!