Saturday, June 13, 2009

Finally, a 5K PR!!!

I haven't even finished my post from last week about the Race for the Cure and some other stuff, but I had to jump in with this breaking news:


24:21!!!

This was in the Marysville Berry Run earlier this morning.


Not only did I break the 25 minute barrier, I did so quite convincingly.


Unfortunately (only slightly unfortunately, it's certainly no big deal), I didn't get an age group award. I was fourth behind at least two of the same women who made me fourth last year. (And I wouldn't be surprised if the other is the same too.) So apparently even though I improved my time by more than a minute, they did too!*



Here are my splits.

Mile 1 - 7:35 (wow!)

Mile 2 - 7:58

Mile 3 - 7:56

Mile 3.1 - 8:04 pace (yeah, kind of pathetic, I didn't even have enough left for a sprint to the finish - if I had, just think what my time might have been! At least I managed to squeak out a "7" in all of the first three miles!)



All in all, a great race and I am VERY HAPPY!

*Another small peeve... Someone else I know also ran and finished about 20 seconds behind me. Yet when she posted her time on Facebook, the time she posted was 24:21, MY time. I'm not sure if it was a typo, whether she was thinking of my time and mistakenly put that in, or whether she misread the results page and genuinely thought that was her time.** It really doesn't matter, yet I feel strangely disappointed, like some of my PR glory has been taken away. (We have some of the same Facebook friends.) No matter, my (4th place) victory stands!

**Yes, a footnote to a footnote. I noticed a later update in which she rounded the time to 24 minutes. REALLY? (I would never round down a 5K--or round up, obviously--but maybe that's just me.) But enough with the bitchyness...really, I'm not a competitive person. :)


Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations! That is a great time with amazing splits (and just over 8 on the last part is nothing to sneeze at). It looks like your legs have returned to you.

Oh... and the rounding down thing would bug the crap out of me too.

Aka Alice said...

Oh yeah...I would never round my time either (although I've been guilty of saying I ran a 2 and a half hour-ish 1/2 marathon...) but I wasn't saying it officially or anything like that :-))

Congrats on the PR! Gosh, you're speedy.