Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ten years in 100 characters

Pasta Queen wrote in her blog about writing a summary of her life over the last ten years in 100 characters or less. Always up for a writing challenge, I decided to try my own version. The problem is, I have a really hard time not being verbose. My first try, which I thought was really concise, hit 100 characters in about the second line. I didn't actually know whether characters counted spaces or not, but I decided, to be scrupulously fair, I should count the spaces as well as actual letters.

So I paired it down to the ultimate bare bones. I'm sure that there's a lot more stuff that happened, but these are the events in my life that stand out over the last decade! I think the characters and spaces add up to 99.

Got new job. Started own firm. Lost lots of weight. Ran lots of miles. Met guy I’ve known 35 years.

Seem short on details? Yeah, that's my problem too. That's why you'll never see me writing telegrams or personal ads!

In retrospect, I guess I could pare it even further, to: New job. Started firm. Lost weight. Ran miles. Met guy.

That cuts it to 55 characters. Just think of what I could do with 45 extra characters! Wrote blog, for one thing—that adds ten characters. Cut hair? Nine characters. Did yoga. Plus nine. Ran more. Another nine. And I'll leave the last eight characters to your imagination. Here you go:

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

3 comments:

Laura said...

I don't know how I never realized that you had your own firm! Have you written about that in any posts?

Kristin said...

I haven't written about it specifically; I don't know if I've alluded to it. I have a small law firm with a partner; currently we have six attorneys and work primarily with juvenile court cases. Running is one of the things I do to separate myself from all that occasionally!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way, whenever I try to write something brief, I just can't do it! I didn't realize you owned your own firm, either!